Sunday, February 1, 2009

A not so ordinary Sunday

So first off, I stayed up way too late last night. I saw the wonderful Modern Skirts in concert at the 40 Watt in Athens. They did absolutely wonderful, just like they always do. They are just so good! The first band that played, Oblio, they were pretty good! Then the next band, The Constellations, oh heavens they were the worst band ever! The lead singer I swear was stoned. He was wearing these tight red pants that were way too tight, and much too low...if you catch my drift. There was three back up girls wearing white strapless dresses. Needless to say those girls had a hard time keeping those dresses up. The music, wow was absolutely terrible! They were cursing up a storm and the music was just awful. I've never heard anything this bad.

The whole point of the story was I stayed up too late and was exhausted this morning. I thought I was going to like half sleep my way through church, after all it was fast Sunday today. So I figured I would get to sit and enjoy the testimonies being bore, but things changed.

Justin and I usually sit on the front row together but he has new duties and has to sit in front of everyone. So I have to find somewhere else. Which has its ups and downs. I don't have to sit on the front row. I hate the front row. I love the back! The downfall, I have to find someone to sit with. Haha I'd rather not. Oh well. Thank goodness Daniel was there today. So I decided to sit with him. We sat in the back and one person over from me were two guys I haven't seen before.

So we start Sacrament meeting, and going on doing the normal announcements, opening song, prayer...la dee dah. Then the actual sacrament is taking place. Well these guys start whispering.

I honestly don't mind whispering, but the Sacrament is one of the things I take very seriously. It's the most important thing during my week. I am personally going through a change every Sunday. It's the one time I feel completely at ease and definitely need it.

So they started talking away, I was getting frustrated. At first they just seemed to be explaining about the Sacrament, but their voices got louder and then they started discussing other things. You would think that since everyone was dead silent that they would learn from example.Well apparently not. That's when it all began.

I've never had a sacrament meeting like this one before. During testimonies one of the guys was the first one to get up. He started talking about how he had just met his brother on the street and said he wanted to go to church with him and learn about the Mormons. Then his "brother" got up and started thanking him and saying how he wants to be apart of this family. They both had a ton of courage for standing up and saying what they do know. It was just the wrong way to go about things. But they don't know any better. They commented out loud about everyone's testimony. They were saying amen, praise Jesus, hallelujah. It was crazy! Here I was trying to feel the Spirit and trying to hold back laughter. They got up and hugged people after they bore their testimonies. Then at the end, right before we ended, they got back up. wow....it was very interesting.

I'm glad they came though. Even though it was a different experience for me, it taught me things. I'm always so happy when people come and see what the true church is all about. It just makes you realize it takes all kinds of people to make this world.

They ended up staying the rest of the day and followed along in the scriptures and made comments. Watching them, I just realized how exciting the gospel is and how exciting it is to learn new knowledge. We knew everything before this Earth life and then the veil made us forget. Our heart knows truth and when we learn (or re-learn) something our heart testifies of the truth. I was just fascinated by the way The Lord and this gospel works. Well in Sunday School I got to think more about the subject. The lesson in my Sunday school class was about my Heavenly Family. It was a good lesson. It talked about how so often in this life we categorize people and judge them and we need to realize that our Father in Heaven, the exact one that has so much love for us, love those other individuals too.He handles others and I thought about how he handles me. The love and tender care He shows me personally and how he is like that with everyone. He's very personal. Also, we talked about how everyone is our brothers and sisters. You ever see someone and they look familiar to you? You guys could have been so tight in the life before, even your enemies. Life and choices may get in the way here, but there is no telling what happened before this life. It's just so cool to think about. I often find myself in a room full of people and have the thought come to me, that all these people in the room were in heaven with me before this earth life. They all made that same first decision I did and decided to come here! A lot of what we talked about I know but I just saw things in a new light today.

Anyways that's my very interesting day! Haha I love Sundays!

No comments: