Yikes! It's been like 3 weeks since I last posted. Whoops! haha.
Soooooo you know how everyday you learn something new? Well here's what I've been learning for the past few weeks.
The Daily Universe
I've gotten into the habit of reading the Daily Universe.(BYU paper) I can't believe how excited I get looking at it. I just love seeing what's going on, learn new things, and of course read people's silly views. haha I'm such a dork.
~STOMP is coming to Provo Utah! This incredible group who became famous for using everyday items and creating music. They are just incredible and I think it would be amazing to see them live.
~ Texting while driving is illegal now in Utah. You could lose your license for 3 months if caught. Pretty crazy, but I think it's necessary.
~Jay Leno had his last night on the Tonight Show
~ Someone thinks that sandals should be against the dress code on BYU campus, because it's not very professional. Some one's response to the article...Jesus wore sandals. haha
~In a column about pornography and how girls should be more aware of there dress and not become walking pornography, an individual thought that men should also be aware of themselves. She went on saying that men shouldn't be such gentlemen and open doors because it turns girls on. haha stupid girl
Family Recreational Class
~Leadership and Self-Deception getting out of the box by The Arbinger Insitute
Basically you have a problem, I have a problem, and well everyone has a problem. A huge problem and no one is aware of this problem. We are all in a box, and we don't see people as people. In every situation we have the choice to honor or self betray ourselves. Which one do you choose?
It's an incredible book and I highly suggest people to read it. It's only like 200 pages and you can easily read it in like 2 hrs.
~ Family Rituals: We all have family rituals. Bedtime rituals, anniversary rituals, Christmas.
My professor gave an example. She said that when her and her husband first got married. She spent late nights working on her thesis. She said the first night she did this, about 4 weeks after they got married, she finished at like 3am. She went into the bathroom to brush her teeth and found that her husband had put her toothbrush out and put toothpaste on it. She thought to herself "oh he really cares about me, what a great husband, he thought of me before I go to bed." This became a ritual for them. Whoever goes to bed first, puts toothpaste on the other person's toothbrush.
Rituals have to happen more than once, and have to have meaning or significance. Someone in my class said a family ritual for her family is whenever dinner is ready her mom rang the doorbell 3 times. They then had one minute to come down otherwise they were stuck doing dinner clean-up. (I think that's a great idea, and I want to steal it) Another one is we have rituals with Santa. Well will Santa wrap the gifts, or does he just leave them?
Little rituals. I never realized how there are so many rituals in my life and how important they are.
Marriage Prep Class
~Life is a book. God can pull your book off the shelf and know the beg ginning to end but if you were to open it, you'd find your own handwriting. You're writing your own story.
~Pillars of Eternity
Creation
Fall
Atonement
Most of the time people view these as events (ex. The Atonement, The Fall...) It's a process not a series of events
~Gospel is not a checklist (check baptism, check temple marriage...)It's a gospel of becoming.
~ The church isn't a pedestal for Saints, but a hospital for sinners.
~Cleave unto your spouse. Get away from parents, live your own lives. Put spouse above all others.
~Meaning of life? Become like Heavenly Father
~Amae- The desire to receive and be loved
~Love cannot be forced..It comes out of heaven, unasked and unsought.
New Testament Class
~"If men do not comprehend the character of God, they do not comprehend themselves."
~Missionaries are like apostles, special witnesses of Jesus Christ.
As you can see, I'm learning lots, more than I can type on here. Education is doing me good! That's what's going on. Have a good day y'all! xoxo
1 comment:
I totally read Leadership and Self deception! It is a good book! And I have to say that I'm just so proud, my Steph is learning so much at college! I love hearing from you and seeing how much you're growing! Oh I'm excited to see you!
Post a Comment