Do you ever have those moments where someone calls you at the exact moment when you need to talk to someone, or you get a letter at the exact moment when you need some encouragement, or someone says something that you need to hear, or anything along those lines? I believe Elder Bednar referred to it in one of his talks a few years ago as "tender mercies."
I am grateful for tender mercies.
I kinda feel like it's my purpose in life to be the tender mercy in someone else life. I love being there for people, making people's days, lifting others, just in general being the friend that they need and providing them with some hope, I suppose. I don't really expect those for myself, because I am just happy helping others. But once in a while I am taken aback. I am reminded how important I am to the Lord at the exact moment when I need to hear it the most. I receive a gentle reminder that Lord has a plan for me and He is very much aware of my needs and desires. (I tear up just thinking about how amazing that feeling is...to feel loved, important, and worth more than I can comprehend.)
So here's the story or series of events that took place to lead up to my tender mercy moment. It may not seem like anything to you but to me it's exactly what I needed....
Yesterday, I received a text from my wonderful father. Which read "Gaining Confidence in Guidance from the Spirit-- 'What may appear initially to be a daunting task will be much easier to manage over time as you consistently strive to recognize and follow feelings prompted by the Spirit. Your confidence in the direction you receive from the Holy Ghost will also become stronger. I witness that as you gain experience and success in being guided by the Spirit, your confidence in the impressions you feel can become more certain than your dependence on what you see or hear' Richard G. Scott"
My thoughts after I received the text? "Oh yeah, that's a good quote. Kinda neat." Well, I couldn't stop thinking about it. I mean this was all day, I couldn't get it off my mind. I laid in bed last night, not able to fall asleep, and was still thinking about this quote. My thoughts were along the lines as "How awesome to know without a doubt what you're feeling. To know exactly what you need to do. To have full confidence in an 'instinct' and just go with it. To know, hey this is the Spirit I need to listen to it." Then the last part kinda struck with me "become more certain than your dependence in what you see or hear." Powerful stuff. I tried thinking back to the times in my life when I had the impression to call someone, or do something, or be somewhere without having a real reason behind it. And the times that I actually listened to the Spirit and the times when I kinda brushed it off. Most of the time I just do things because I get a feeling and I don't really think it's coming from the Spirit, it's just one of those things that I do because I'd hate to later feel guilty that I didn't follow that instinct. But really, if I didn't get the impression to do something would I have done it otherwise? I don't know...probably not.
I know this is something I need to work on. Recognizing the Spirit. I would love to just know 'hey this is the Spirit influencing me, I better listen.' Also, to be prompted often and to not doubt what I'm feeling and to have more confidence in my impressions than what I actually see or hear.
Isn't this what the church is all about? Missionaries go out everyday and feel impressed to knock on someone's door. We often hear those stories of people who prayed and found the answers because someone else listened to the promptings of the Holy Spirit. Talks and lessons are often guided by the Spirit. The choosing of callings are by the Spirit. It's just amazing the power of the Holy Ghost has in our lives.
Maybe I'm just rambling a little too much to try and get my point across. Basically, the Lord provides those perfect opportune moments. This Spirit will give us a little nudge and all we have to do is don't ignore it and just go with it. We never know the impact we might have on something. Think about it, what if you didn't follow that feeling and just brushed it away?...sure it may not seem like that big of a deal, but what if what you needed the person who was suppose to be there for you also just kinda brushed it off? The Lord works in mysterious ways and I feel like most of the time it's through other people that he meets our needs. So shouldn't we do our duty and listen to that still small voice?
So on with the story. After I had been thinking about this text, I decided to try and be more aware of my feelings and impressions. One as most of you know, I am currently looking for a job. What an endless nightmare... I decided that to help me I would call the Provo Temple and put my name on the prayer roll, I mean I could use the extra prayers. Well, while I was on the phone I had the impression to put 2 other names on there. Partially it made sense because I know they are both kinda having a hard time. I don't know if it will actually help them at all, but still, I listened. Second of all, this afternoon I was applying for jobs and had the feeling to check somewhere, where I was positive wouldn't have any jobs available. There was some available. Now, I'm not saying I'm going to get the jobs because I listened, but it made me feel somewhat better. Gave me some hope that yes, people are still looking to hire and not to give up yet.
Now here's the real tender mercy story that I initially was trying to talk about, but got a little side tracked. I was just checking email, fb, blah blah on the internet. And I decided to check youtube. I subscribe to some different channels for kicks and giggles. Well, one of them I'm subscribed to is the Mormon Messages. They are good, but I'll be honest I only watch them here and there. Well this one caught me eye I guess. It was entitled "Prayer."
http://www.youtube.com/user/MormonMessages#p/a/u/1/zndsJTdGwLQ"Prayer is the provider of spiritual strength. It is the passport to peace. Prayer is the means in which we approach our Father in Heaven, who loves us, speak to Him in prayer and then listen for the answer. Miracles are wrought through prayer."
Tender Mercy number 1...a message about prayer. Exactly what I needed to hear. After watching this video I felt prompted to go to the church website. I saw on the homepage a link for the CES broadcast that I had missed this past Sunday. Elder Anderson gave it. It's entitled "Preparing for Your Spiritual Destiny."
This stuck out to me as I read it...
~"You were chosen and foreordained to have the gospel in your life and to be a leader in the cause of the restored gospel."
~"Accept that you have an eternally important destiny, a spiritual destiny. Read your patriarchal blessing. As was said of Queen Esther of old, “Thou art come … for such a time as this” (Esther 4:14). Believe it, and embrace it!"
~"Spiritual preparation will uncover your own inner resources. There is power in prayer. There is strength in the scriptures. We learn to step forward in faith and to be more fully obedient. Worthily preparing for and taking the sacrament each week renews and protects us. We receive the priceless gift of the Holy Ghost. This heavenly gift is real and absolutely essential to keeping us safe."
~"He loves the Lord with all his heart who loves nothing in comparison of him, and nothing but in reference to him."
~"Families are the organization of heaven."
~"I believe the Savior is telling us that unless we lose ourselves in service to others, there is little purpose to our own lives. Those who live only for themselves eventually shrivel up and figuratively lose their lives, while those who lose themselves in service to others grow and flourish—and in effect save their lives."
Why did I need to hear this at the exact moment? I have no idea, however I am so grateful for the lessons I am taught through the tender mercies of the Lord.
xoxo

No comments:
Post a Comment