Here's the deal, I've been working on different blog posts for a while now. The problem is, I write them and then read them, and delete delete delete. I'm having writer's block. haha. So this is what I finally decided on: Recently what I have learned or realized in the last little while. And I don't like this post either. But here it goes...
Spring Term has officially started. I'm only taking 3 classes but goodness, It's still overwhelming. It's only been a week, and I'm stressed, kinda. However, I love my classes. There are some fabulous people in them and they are really good classes!
And I feel as though a huge burden has been lifted, I finally finished retaking American Heritage. Hallelujah!
So things I've learned in my classes this past week...
So things I've learned in my classes this past week...
Religion 234: LDS Marriage and Family Relations aka Marriage Prep (I know, I'm not getting married, but this stuff is good to know for when the time comes! Plus, I think I learn and relate more to this class spiritually than any other religion class.)
"The study of doctrine will change your behavior quicker than a study of behavior will change your behavior."
We learned about the Character of God. Powerful stuff. My professor made a comment about how God emulates his characteristics so He can teach us. Or reveals something that may be a weakness for us that we need to work on. So dang true! I can't tell you how many times I have been taught something that I myself need to work on. (Usually, it tends to be the same thing. I'm hard-headed sometimes). For example, we may be in need of forgiveness so we pray and ask for forgiveness and He gives that to us, yet we won't forgive our fellow beings. So He tries to teach us that what He does for us, we need to do for others. My professor also told a personal story of going to a conference and there was an apostle present and my professor was sitting on the front row and he said this apostle, Elder Packer, bore a simple testimony. "I know He Lives." But my professor said he just saw the love, the surety in his eyes and heard it in his voice. And ever since then, he has wanted to be sure that everyone that he comes in contact with knows he knows. He also wanted to know without a doubt in his mind, the face of His father. It makes you question can you personally know without a doubt the face of God? Do you know the character of God? Every time you feel the Spirit, ask yourself what is God revealing about His character to me?
SFL 110: Cooking
I'm taking a cooking class. Because twice a week for about 2.5 hrs each I get to make food and eat it. It's fabulous. The funny thing though is no one in my class knows how to cook. Disaster! Some even went shopping for the first time by themselves recently and didn't know what to do. Thanks mom for preparing me to be a grown up and letting me cook and shop all while growing up. So it's interesting working in groups and watching the mistakes and watching them learn. haha.
Ps. When I was looking for a photo for this topic, I came across college cookbooks that teach college students to cook. Who knew?! haha.
Ps. When I was looking for a photo for this topic, I came across college cookbooks that teach college students to cook. Who knew?! haha.
English 218: Creative Writing
"We sleepwalk through most of our lives...and...every once in a while something happens...outside ourselves that forces us to pay attention in a new way, or something happens inside us that enables us to pay attention in a new way. And we suddenly realize that the world is so much richer, and more magnificent, and more wonderful than we had felt for a long time. Not to sentimentalize..., but I think children live much more continuously in a state of awareness of the miraculousness of existence. "
"The world exists. Why recreate it? I want to think about it, try to understand it...I want a literature built entirely out of contemplation and revelation...The real story isn't the drama of what happens; it's what we're thinking about while nothing, or very little, is happening."
My major is English. Have I mentioned that? I'm in this creative writing class, which I am loving. The professor is so great. This class is focused not so much on the grammar side of things but the content; the feel of the paper. Recently we have been working on writing with your senses. Being specific and concrete. We read an essay by a BYU professor, Madden, (who is an incredible writer) about laughter. It was so interesting. Our assignment is to write an essay on something similar. So, I am writing about hugs. I really kinda love my paper thus far (I'm sure I'll be saying something else in a few weeks). I should make a link to my rough draft..eh maybe when it's finished I will. But my paper is about all the different types of hugs; side hug, linger hug, the hug that ends with a kiss, the too tight hug, the too light hug...seriously there is a ton of hugs. And my paper is hilarious, describing them. Maybe I give myself too much credit though. ha
Um, one of my assignments is to write in a journal everyday. There is a contest to see if someone beats the teacher on most entries. I'm totally going to win. Hello, I'm an avid journal writer. The purpose is to become more routine in journal writing and to have better writing skills. Also, be more descriptive and specific. I love writing in my journal. And he doesn't read them, which is even more fabulous. The day I let someone read my journal, my personal thoughts, will be a very big day and a major step for me. Hopefully one day, I will be able to.
Um, one of my assignments is to write in a journal everyday. There is a contest to see if someone beats the teacher on most entries. I'm totally going to win. Hello, I'm an avid journal writer. The purpose is to become more routine in journal writing and to have better writing skills. Also, be more descriptive and specific. I love writing in my journal. And he doesn't read them, which is even more fabulous. The day I let someone read my journal, my personal thoughts, will be a very big day and a major step for me. Hopefully one day, I will be able to.
Church:
The men in my ward, are fabulous. I say this because, today I was admiring them. (I do this sometimes, don't think I'm creepy) But in all honesty, they are some great guys. Now I'm not saying I would go out and date all of them, I am just saying they have some very good qualities about them. I could really see something more in them. Today in Relief Society we talked about seeing people through God's eyes. And I think in a way, that's what I was catching a glimpse of. And I love watching guys respect women and actually taking the time to care and do the little things. I'm telling you, it's the little things in life that mean the most. I really enjoyed just looking at these wonderful, good-looking men dressed up so nicely and with a smile on their faces, light in their eyes, and honoring their priesthood.
I also realized one of the best things is watching people share their testimony. They are so passionate in what they believe and what they know. I just see their eyes smile. And it just warmed my heart, because I can relate. That feeling, of knowing so strongly in your heart that something is true. You just want to shout it to the entire world! I love being able to talk about spiritual things with people and have a good response in return.
It's May, and it is still cold and snowyish. Not cool.
Today is National Defeat Voldemort Day. Love me some Harry Potter. In honor of it, I watched one of the HP movies. love.
I love being seen. haha silly I know who doesn't? No seriously though, when people go out of their way to see me, or stop by and say hi, or send a text, or just talk to me on fb chat. I like knowing I'm loved.
Today is National Defeat Voldemort Day. Love me some Harry Potter. In honor of it, I watched one of the HP movies. love.
I love being seen. haha silly I know who doesn't? No seriously though, when people go out of their way to see me, or stop by and say hi, or send a text, or just talk to me on fb chat. I like knowing I'm loved.
Yozone has red velvet frozen yogurt...hott dang it's delicious. It's like I'm eating a moist piece of cake.
I'm due for a cell phone upgrade in a few weeks. yay yay!
There are new faces in the ward. I love new faces and getting to know people!
Winco opens tomorrow. I'm excited to check it out. It's like better than Walmart and the produce is better and it's cheaper.
I'm a terrible friend, I haven't contacted anyone recently and see what's going on in their life. Yikes. Even my own family. I'm just busy. I need to skype and catch up. I hate losing contact.
Other:
I recently read Blogger Brawls on Mormon Times. I'm still loving every post. haha. But I was reading the most recent brawl for tomorrow and this guy said this in his post. I find it truthful, insightful, and well...my thoughts exactly. His topic is on people being out of their league and how it's so not true. And he talks about how you see a couple and you wonder how did that guy, that doofus, end up with someone like her? His answer?
"So how did he do it? Here's a novel idea: He asked her out. Holy crap, Calvin's on to something. But seriously, think about it. You only marry the people you date; and you only date the people you ask out. So by the transitive property of Mormon dating, you only marry the people you ask out. Math sucks, but it works.So, guys, this means that if you have a girl in mind that is "out of your league," you should get up the nerve to ask her out. Make sure she doesn't have a boyfriend. Make small talk once or twice then ask her on a date (a real date)."
Calvin's the man! haha. After this he goes on to talk about girls can ask guys out too. Psh, that's not what I wanted to focus on. Been there, done that. Guys man up! (nah that's mean.) haha.
My roommate introduced me to this hilarious website. http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/ These are professional cakes, that are screwed up. So funny!!
This post is ridiculous, I am not satisfied by it's content. Eh, at least it's an update. Happy new week!
xoxo








No comments:
Post a Comment